Saturday, June 26, 2010

The London Reality Show that is my life

Friday night or "Britain's Got Talent" - class is over and our last full London weekend has begun. Caitlin, Danielle and I get ready and head to barfly in Camden, where we are on the "short list" aka the cover is cheaper, for Danielle's co-worker's boyfriend's band MOK.

Inside, the 7 p.m. World Cup game is ending and the bar is filled, so we walk through the side door and tell the bouncer our names (I have to admit - I felt kind of cool getting my name checked off the list.) and then head upstairs. A opener band was already playing. Then during the break, I noticed a man in a crazy sweater - turns out to the boyfriend of Danielle's co-worker Dolcie who found Danielle and explained the band - an indie band, but the lead singer is a rapper....interesting.

And when they started that was the best way to explain the band...interesting. We ended up leaving and going downstairs for a drink followed by fantastic tasting falafel at a stand down the street.

Saturday or "Jersey Shore, the British version" - last journalism school excursion to Brighton. The town is how I imagine the Jersey shore to be. But of course, classy because it's British.

The Brighton pier is great and filled with food, games and rides. We walked up and down and admired it all. I ended up eating crepes with ham and cheese and ice cream on the pier (not together of course) And then we made Sean ride the mechanical bull...which was great fun.

Danielle and I also did some shopping and walked around the Royal Pavilion. It was unlike any other royal housing place/castle I had seen. The pavilion was "oriental" style, by Englishmen in the 1700s who had never been to Asia. But it was beautiful and filled with bamboo and elaborate chandeliers. And it was so cool to see some of the original wallpaper and other things.

Later we laid out on the beach that wasn't sand but all stones. It was surprisingly comfortable and it was nice to remember that it is almost July and summer. I actually got a little tan too!

Then it was off to a pub to watch the US and Ghana game.

No comments:

Post a Comment