Thursday, June 17, 2010

So get on a train and go somewhere




So I have this secret (sometimes not so secret) obsession with trains. I sort of love them. So when I found out there was a transportation museum in London, I’ve wanted to go for the last…oh 5 and ½ weeks or so. And today, I went.

It was the coolest museum, possibly ever. First you start off in a lift aka elevator aka time machine! We got in and above the doors was the year and then as we went up to the second floor, the years rolled back to 1800 and when the doors opened, we could hear the clip-clop of horses and there were stage coaches (as I type that, I realize that’s probably the American version, but that’s what they looked like – the British called them “horse omnibuses.” But they were complete with horses and fake people riding and driving them. And this continued – with the Victorian trains and the tube from the 1970’s complete with passengers in bellbottoms and ads for platform shoes. It went all the way up to the current tube that we take almost every day. And there weren’t just trains, but double-decker buses too!

And another reason I wanted to go was for the amazing “tube art” or train posters. In one room was the coolest art display ever. It was a slideshow on a projector, but it started on the floor and raced up to the screen and was filled with art, photos and even typeface. I think I stood there for a solid 20 minutes. Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment