Monday, May 10, 2010

First official day in London.

I finally got to enjoy walking through London this morning after being able to sleep. We went for coffee this morning and I learned my first English phrase: it’s not to-go: it’s take-away.

Then was the city tour of London where it finally sank in that I’m in London. The city is so beautiful – the buildings are so ornate and beautiful. All this history mixed in with the new modern buildings. And besides the crazy drivers that come from the opposite side of the road – it’s pretty easy to walk through.

We saw all the major sights including the classic tourist picture with the guard and changing of the guard. And there are elephant statues everywhere – apparently they are to raise awareness about the Indian elephants. They are all different and remind me of the cows that used to be all over Chicago. Danielle and I started a list of places to go including St. Paul’s Cathedral (which you have to pay for) and multiple museums (which are free). Then at lunch we bought hairdryers for 5 pounds each.

But I do think I will have to change some money over tomorrow because it will be fun to have some pounds. Plus I got some weird looks today trying to use my credit card – which apparently is missing some “chip” all the British cards have.

After orientation at Anglo, we bought oyster cards for the tube – which totally reminds me of the train in Boston and went to the theater. Before, we discovered this great sushi place though. The dishes come by your seat at a bar on a conveyer belt – and each one is 2.2 pounds every Monday. We are defiantly going back next Monday.
The show was Phantom of the Opera – which I have to admit, I didn’t know much about before today. But it was really great and the set was awesome. Our seats were great- first balcony at Her Majesty’s Theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment