Sunday, May 9, 2010

I'm here

Our plane in Charlotte was delayed until 8 p.m. and it was actually close to 9 p.m. when we finally left. The flight was so long and since I have a travel deviation (a.k.a I'm staying an extra week) I wasn't sitting with the group. But somehow I managed to sleep a bit.
Once we got to England it was a maze through the airport to our luggage, which thank God all made it here. We then hopped on a coach to head for the flats. At first, England seemed like it could be anywhere in the U.S. - just the cars were on the opposite side of the road. The first things we saw outside of the airport were McDonalds and BP. But then it was the beautiful English hills dotted with sheep and horses. But I was so tired, I fell asleep.
I woke up to Caitlin yelling, "It's Big Ben!" and it was just like Brubeck said it would be - exciting yet I was so tired it didn't really register. Same goes for the London Eye other buildings.
But our flats are so wonderful - we are on the top floor complete with skylights, and it's just two apartments of us on the whole floor. Of course the rooms are small and there weren't enough hangers, but there never are. And the washerdryer is hidden in a cupboard under the sink.
We went adventuring for phones and when we found them, most of us bought the same phone and immediately set them up - right there in the store. then it was off to the supermarket -which became the most stressful experience of my life. It was so crowded and the brands were so unfamiliar. What I've seen is wonderful. The old buildings and the shops and places to eat. It's all surreal. I don't quite feel as if I'm really here - almost like it's a fake London.

No comments:

Post a Comment